Wednesday 23 October 2013

The Maze - The Lost Labyrinth



The moment I read the summary of the book I was quite eager to read this. The concept of a Maze was quite a novel idea for me and not being a Christian myself I wasn’t sure what to expect from the story and whether I would like it or not. After finish reading, I’m glad that I came across this book as it had been one of the best writings I have ever come across. If at all you have faith on God and believes in good and evil, this would be a nice read regardless what religion you would belong to.

The protagonist, Jaime gives life to a very realistic character. One which is quite common in the society nowadays and many could relate with their own lives. A happy husband and a father who has committed few sins somewhere or other along the journey of his life, Jaime is not so troubled with his past and lives a respectable life until the things go over the limit. One thing he could always assure his wife was that he hasn’t cheated on her. All of a sudden he comes to an abrupt halt where his path is forked and he was to choose either the happy married life or try infidelity with his ex-girlfriend. He wanted to be faithful but partially he had second thoughts.

“…other part of me was excited about the fact that the line was there to be crossed.”

The author has taken the full advantage of a rich vocabulary. Words were perfectly entwined with each other giving the best and appropriate outcome to each sentence. The fine descriptions never failed to give me the mental picture of the surroundings and feel the intensity of each moment.

“Gradually, my trip hammering pulse slowed to a moderate gallop and then a trot.”

In my opinion, the whole idea of the Maze was brilliant. It was even well formed and defined with each turn of page. The Architect and the fair share of both demons and angels have in the Maze makes it more balanced and complex. The way he has described the structure and the objective of the Maze, its obvious that the author had a very clear mental picture about what his plot would be based upon. Lines like following were more than enough for me to picture and feel the Maze just as I was alive (or rather say trapped) inside it.

“Bricks were laid using grief as a mortar. Walls were cemented into place with sorrow. Lights were forsaken in favor of darkness. Crude agonizing designs were etched into the floors, and the history of one man’s sin was scrawled in painstaking detail on every inch of the dreadful place.”

The Piper fits into the plot very well. It certainly reminded me of the Piper in an old fairy tale I have read long back. The Piper here has a similar role in this story, playing a flute but only to cause destruction no any good.

“He delighted in symphonies of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Operas of agony were his music of choice. Nothing sounded any sweeter to The Piper than the hopeless weeping of the lost.”

The story is quite a lot more than just another fiction. Its not a book you could simply read and put aside but will make you wonder about your all your actions all down the memory line. Just as Jaime was trapped in a Maze to try shape up his life, we would be trapped in the story to have a self realization.

“A man shapes the course of his life by the decisions he makes, and you will write your destiny inside the walls of this maze.”

If you are a diehard atheist, you may not like the book and would even criticize the story. Hence, I would not recommend this to you. But, for any other who believe upon God and faith would find this a very enlightening story. This would certainly provoke you to look back at the things and urge you to correct the mistakes so far committed and be careful with your actions in future. Ending the note with few lines I found very thoughtful mesmerizing.

“I’d heard it said before that there were no true deathbed atheists, and the wisdom in that statement was more apparent now than it had ever been. I wasn’t an atheist. Despite all my shortcomings, I believed in God, but now, faced with the unbelievable, I regretted not living a more devout life. There wasn’t time, however, to make amends for that mistake.”

You can buy the book here...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...