Sunday 17 November 2013

Under His Protection




I was gifted a free promotional copy of this book to be reviewed. With just a look at the cover and the title I expected this to be yet another love story with a boring and unrealistic plot and wasn’t much excited about reading it. After seeing that the story is dated to 1838 (which makes the things even worse), I started reading it with a groan, as i’m not much into the tales of old times! But pardon me, for all the silly reasons I had to underestimate this great work, the book had real charms to entice me by its very first pages and held me tightly to it until the very end.

story takes me off guard, with the presence of the Lady Kingston. I expected the leading female character to be a beautiful and conventional woman of those days. Quite the contrary, apart from being strikingly beautiful and talented she was also liberal and audacious which is unlikely to be seen among the women in her society. I almost forgot that the story was dated back to 19th century, for it was much of a light read and very interesting one. Especially, Greyland was such a jaw-dropping character. Ah, how much I love her! I’m grateful to the author for carving out such an incredible and impressing character of a woman which is alive and unbearably exquisite. her presence at each event and the care free and straightforward demeanor was refreshing the story all the time. And, what should I say about the handsome Duke Ravenswood! He was no less a perfect personality himself. His sharp and bold attitudes were finely matched with the “firecracker”, creating an unmistakable chemistry between them.

The narration of the story and the character build-up was excellent. Stacy has taken time in describing each person for us to get a clear cut idea about them. the surroundings were also given importance, by describing with every minute detail that every reader could easily develop the mental picture of the events and where they take place. Loving and caring brothers, the understanding best friends, the well responsible fathers, the not-so-easy-to-be-controlled sister and loathsome gentleman all had their fair share in the story. each of those character had a uniqueness which made their appearance stand out in the right time with the right dialogues. Also it gave a good variety to the story when they all were connected with each other well.

A midst the stacks of great books, there would be stories in which the readers would love to take time and get absorbed to every fine detail wishing not to go further, or some stories which readers would be restless until they finish and get to know the ultimate truth. I’m glad to say that this piece of fiction is a brilliant mix of both. The curiosity was well awaken within me to read fast and reach the climax, but the same time I was spellbound by each event to not to leave those pages so soon. I held my breath many a times when the plot twisted and took unexpected turns and story never ran out of excitement and surprises while it unfold. 

The language and dialogues resembles the old days well. However, its not one of the typical boring lot. The author is ever so talented in putting the words in wonderful phrases which makes her an excellent story teller. I’m just copying some of the lines I noted. Of course they were few out of many.
“Alexander could no more stop the smile from erupting on his face than he could stop the moon from shining.”
“He was as shocked as if a prancing unicorn carrying a woodland nymph had charged into the room singing Christmas carols.”
“His manners were polished like the finest of silver, and his pedigree was better than one of the Queen’s Spaniel bitches.”
“His eyes were so sharp she thought they might be able to cut glass.”

My favorite scene in the book was the proposal of Alex to Grey. The words had me feel the intensity of the blossoming love and the honesty of the Lord Ravenswood. Its a dialogue I was attracted at once and could never forget no matter how many good reads I come across.

I should be an illiterate stupid woman with no taste (or call me what not) to rate this any less than 5 stars! This is a book which I enjoyed immensely after a long time and a one which I could re-read happily again. For her debut novel, Stacy really nailed it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...